Sunday, October 26, 2008

Thai chicken wings - 35 mins and yummy



An express and delicious spicy dish, my absolute favorite among recipes for chicken wings. I am making it right this minute. The taste comes largely from the ready made Thai curry paste, so if you like those pastes, you'll love the wings. Currently, I use the Mae Ploy brand, because that's all I see at the stores.. but I think it's also the most popular brand. Tastes great. I try to always have three kinds at hand: red, green and yellow, and today I'm using yellow.

If you've never tasted Thai curry pastes, begin with the red one in small quantity, like 1 teaspoon for the whole dish. The yellow paste is second best. You may have a bit of a problem with the green one because it doesn't taste as sweet. But I like them all enough to use them interchangeably.

I've just eaten half of the wings. The middle sections are best - most juicy. I'm following with some cold, sweet, vanilla flavored white cheese dessert to change the taste in my mouth. Without it, I'd only want more wings - I couldn't stop eating them until more than full.

Click on the post title to see the recipe.

Thai chicken wings

Total preparation time: 35 mins + 15 mins preheating oven

about 20 chicken wings

Sauce:
1/4 c soy sauce
1/4 c honey
1 or 2 T Thai curry paste, depending on how spicy you like it
1 t ground ginger
1 t ground cumin

Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Rinse chicken wings, cut them up into segments and arrange in a flat ovenproof casserole. Cover the casserole with aluminum wrap. Bake for 20 mins.

Stir the remaining ingredients to make the sauce.

Remove the wings from the oven and brush with half of the sauce. Return to the oven and bake for 5 mins. Baste with remaining sauce and bake for 5 mins more.

Let rest for a couple of minutes, serve.

Note: The wings come out more dry if you bake them whole and uncovered on a baking sheet rather than covered in a casserole.

No comments: