Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Found over half a gallon liqueur

I discovered five bottles of milky liqueurs while cleaning the dark corners of the kitchen. The tastes are coconut, chocolate, orange, peach and banana, and they only contain 17 percent alcohol by volume. The labels say to use them for desserts and coffee, as well as for ice cream, but they're very good on their own. Especially coconut - half of the bottle is already gone. Chocolate comes second. I intend to finish them off because I need to free up space on the shelves. So over the next couple of weeks I will be turning myself into an alcoholic.

I am trying to tidy up the kitchen but damn it's not easy. I have not been a fan of factory made kitchen cabinets so I've never gotten around to buying them. I've got some warehouse type wooden shelves and a big old cupboard, which used to belong to my grandmother, and which doesn't fit anywhere well. I am trying to place it somewhere inconspicuous because I cannot really stand looking at it. Also because it's painted the most depressing pale yellow color. I'm considering painting it pinkish-red or olive green or in the pattern of leopard skin. Actually for the leopard I might use a glue-on wallpaper I saw at the home repair store. I think the leopard pattern might work best because it would obscure the uninteresting shape quite well. I might only do the counter, and perhaps some edges, in a contrasting solid color. I think I'd like the effect because I generally find strong colors and animal prints appealing, preferably if they're mixed together. If I could finally get to like that cupboard, I'd probably start using it everyday. So far I've been turning my back on it and filling it with useless stuff, while all the utensils I actually need as well as food supplies are gathering dust on the open shelves. I'd like to put at least some of the clutter away so that the kitchen becomes more functional and easier to clean. Lots of work to be done before that happens, though.

No comments: