Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sweet and sour chicken pineapple



If you are in the mood for something mild and sweet, here's a perfect chicken dish I cooked today. Lots of juicy pineapple make it taste like a main course combined with a dessert. I actually changed the proportions of the original recipe, which called for more chicken, to the below, in which veggies and fruit prevail. You can see all the ingredients I used in the picture. I skipped the chestnuts, bean sprouts and MSG. I also used less sugar because last time I made this dish it came out much too sweet. Today's, however, was just right.


Ready to serve over rice. The tiny black bits you might have noticed is the seasoning of my wok peeling off. I need to scrub and reseason it. They won't be there in your dish.

Below is my recipe.

Sweet and sour chicken pineapple

1 whole chicken breast, without bones, cut up into thin strips
3 T vegetable oil (preferably peanut)
1 green bell pepper and 1 red bell pepper, cut up into bite size pieces
1 sm. onion, sliced
2 c diced celery
1 (5 oz.) can water chestnuts, drained (optional)
1 chicken bouillon cube dissolved in 1/2 c water
1 t salt, 3 T apple cider vinegar, 3/4 c brown sugar and, optionally, 1 t MSG

1 can chunk pineapple, undrained
1 (1 lb.) can bean sprouts, drained (optional)

2 T cornstarch, 2 T water

Pre-cook the meat:
heat wok, then heat oil in wok. Add chicken and cook at medium heat, stirring, until meat turns white, about 5 mins.

Add the veggies, seasonings and fruit:
add bell peppers, onion, celery, chestnuts, bouillon, MSG, salt, vinegar and brown sugar. Cover and simmer for 10-15 mins. Stir often.
Add pineapple and bean sprouts, stir.

Thicken the sauce:
mix cornstarch with water and stir into mixture. Simmer for 3 mins.

No comments: