Thursday, April 23, 2009

First tulips


tulipa greigii Toronto

These are the first tulips to bloom in my city garden this year. They've already been in flower for a good couple of days. I took the picture before 7 a.m. yesterday, trying to capture the color, that's why the flowers are closed. Normally, they open very wide during the day, however, in full sun the color looks completely different. They appear coral red, while I prefer the nice shade of pink visible in the morning light. Unlike the majority of tulips, this variety tends to produce more than one flower per a bulb - notice that some bulbs have two headed stems. They were very accessibly priced when I bought them last September, so if I find them again this fall, I may also be planting some at the farm for next spring.

No comments: