Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Parrot tulip Rococo

First time I've tried this variety. I hesitated whether to buy them or not because they are both red, which I'm not crazy about, and parrot, which means they grow short and twisted and never return after the first year. I finally decided to only plant a few and try them as an accent close to the path. It turns out they are lovely!



The color is velvety fire engine red with some yellow visible inside - almost like flames - when strong sun shines on the flower, while the outside of the petals has an equally velvety purplish tint. I have them planted in dappled shade, which was a truly brilliant idea, because it brings out the colors just enough to make them shine instead of dulling them the way strong sun does.



The shape of the flowers is fascinating and gorgeous from every angle. Opulent, yet elegant, this tulip is definitely a keeper.

No comments: