Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sampling wine

I have just discovered the taste of sherry amontillado - a semi-dry jerez made and bottled in Andalusia. Solera 1940, it says on the bottle. Whatever the makers meant by this date (solera is actually a set of barrels used in the aging process), the wine is good! And I'll be having more of it. As of this very first bottle I'm including it in a rather short list of alcohols that I like as well as an even shorter list of alcohols that I buy. The taste is amazingly rich, indeed a cross between a wine and a brandy, which sherry is. No acidity whatsoever, just an aromatic, nutty smoothness on the tongue. Perfect for sipping on its own, which is exactly what I like to do with wine.

Today I also purchased two travel size bottles of Californian white wine made from Sauvignon Blanc grapes, which I've been craving for a while. I'm storing these to consume in a not very distant future, likely during my vacation taking place next week. Yummers. I'm a bit fed up with the sourness of margaritas - I actually finished a bottle of tequila in the past couple of weeks and squeezed juice from a pile of limes to go with it - and I'm in the mood for much gentler and more refined tastes.

No comments: