Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tulip Daydream



This variety is famous for changing color from medium yellow to flaming shades of orange. I discovered it while browsing pictures of tulip plantings at Chenies Manor House and then, in the fall, stumbled upon it at the garden center.


Indeed, it does change color but it cannot really compete with either Orange Emperor or the below mentioned unknown pink Darwin tulip because it is shorter than both of them. Unfortunately, I didn't know that and I planted it right at their back, where it remains largely hidden from view. Well, I can only count this as its trial year.

I also didn't realize the Orange Emperor, being a fosteriana tulip, would be that tall. They are over two feet tall, almost exactly twenty six inches. It's quite incredible but, considering both their bright color and height, they would be best planted in a separate group away from other varieties. I made the picture small because I only managed to take it when the tulips were already fading. They are actually toast from the drought by today and need to be deadheaded.

No comments: