Sunday, August 22, 2010

August vacation and bulb preview

My August vacation time is almost over. I ventured to my usual far-away gardening center today to see if they were already selling tulip bulbs and what varieties would those be this year. Well, they were selling but only a few, inside their old store which they've recently reorganized - furnished, stocked with new items and began calling a gallery. The outside bulb stand - which was upgraded last year and received a thatched roof - was only being stocked and the stock price tagged as I watched. They will be selling many more varieties, and some at lower prices than the gallery, there as of Monday.

I bought some orangy-red fosteriana tulips Juan, some orange Kaufmanniana tulips Shakespeare, some crocuses and I splashed on alliums - five bulbs of the purple flowering variety Gladiator, and three of the white flowering Mount Everest. The alliums still seemed expensive but, surprisingly, the price went down 30% since last year. I also bought three pots of hosta plantaginea bearing the most wonderfully scented white flowers! I've never seen a fragrant hosta before, and rightly so, upon researching back home I learned they are a rarity among the genus. The scent is gorgeous, heady and intoxicating. I might be back there tomorrow because only upon returning home I realized I had seen bags of Orange Princess tulips hanging right in front of me but got distracted and didn't buy them.

Needless to say, I'll have to add new entries to my list of monthly expenses: amounts spent on tulip bulbs, smaller bulbs and garden soil. I sincerely hope to keep the amounts reasonable.

No comments: