Sunday, October 19, 2008

Stately Suppers - Chavenage House

I just watched an episode of the Bristish show Stately Suppers (2005) filmed at Chavenage House in the Cotswolds. I love the grand historic homes in this show but I am always particularly curious about what their kitchens look like and if they are comfortable to work in. That kitchen featured a huge black Aga range and a four burner cooking range next to it, with two undercounter cabinets on each side of the ranges. Above the ranges, there was a really long rod with hanging utensils, and above the rod a single long shelf with thick, curvy, golden-coated wooden supports, hosting shiny pots and bowls. It looked incredibly comfortable. So much space - a joy to the cook. I think I was also charmed because it seemed totally functional and unpretentious, just simple and inviting.

No comments: