Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Omnivore Hundred quiz

Today's quiz from Andrew at Very Good Taste via Yvespaul again.. that guy really likes memes. He was raised in Hong Kong so I cannot compete with how many foods he had an opportunity to try. Instead, let's see what I've missed.

(The VGT rules are: 
1. Copy this list into your blog, including these instructions. 2. Bold all the items you’ve eaten. 3. Cross out items that you would never consider eating. 4. Optional: Post a comment at Very Good Taste linking to your results.)

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:
1. Venison - nothing I'd go crazy about.
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare - tasty!
5. Crocodile - does it taste very different from chicken? I really appreciate them in bags and wallets..
6. Black pudding - a.k.a. blood pudding, I rarely eat it but if it's well made, I do like it.
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp - one word: yum!
9. Borscht - good!
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho - I had to google it; a Vietnamese soup. Would love to try it.
13. PB&J sandwich - now that's what I call bizarre food!
14. Aloo gobi - a dry Indian curry. If it's Indian, I'm guaranteed to like it.  
15. Hot dog from a street cart - New York franks are the best.
16. Epoisses - "Soft French unpasteurised cows milk cheese. Strong flavoured". Apparently, stinky to some. Sounds like I might like it.
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream - I don't care for nuts or cream..
21. Heirloom tomatoes - are they very much different from, you know, regular good tomatoes?
22. Fresh wild berries - in large quantities! Blackberries are noxious weeds at the farm.
23. Foie gras - it's good but I haven't eaten it (or ever will) since I learned how it's made.
24. Rice and beans - delicious! I am familiar with homemade Puerto Rican version - given a chance I'd eat it every day.
25. Brawn, or head cheese - one of the very few processed meats I actually eat, albeit not too often. Cheap, too.
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper - although I am a chile lover, I don't think I'll try it.
27. Dulce de leche - might be too sweet for me, anyway.
28. Oysters - yes.  Any seafood, anytime.
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda - "an Italian sauce or dip made of olive oil, butter, garlic & anchovies. Served warm with raw vegetables." Sounds very good!
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl 
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut - I like it in all forms, recently in particular I like it stuffed inside buns - very popular at my local bakery.
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar - yuck.. both.. :-x
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects - hmm, another one I wouldn't try.
43. Phall - interesting.. hotter than vindaloo? If it's really extremely hot, I'll pass. But I'd definitely try it.
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more 
46. Fugu
47. Chicken tikka masala - while this in reality is a Liverpool delicacy, it is quite tasty.
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
56. Spaetzle - very nice served with butter.
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads - "The thymus gland (known as throat sweetbread) and the pancreas (stomach sweetbread), especially of the calf and lamb (although beef sweetbreads are sometimes eaten), are considered delicacies and are rich in mineral elements and vitamins. The pancreas is generally preferred to the thymus." I might like those.. I only know and like lungs.
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - I like fried dough with powdered sugar!
68. Haggis - perhaps it's just me but that wild beast of Scotland, while initially wholesome and tasty, after a while turned greasy.. I don't think I finished it.
69. Fried plantain - I generally don't appreciate simple fried foods.. there's too little taste to justify all the unhealthy fat. I'd eat it again just to remember the taste but I happily live without it.
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini - love caviar but I've never had blini.. perhaps I should simply fry some!
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail - yummy!
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum - last year I used a Tom yum concentrate diluted with boiling water as a warming drink on cold winter evenings.
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse - I used to eat smoked horse meat and it was quite a delicacy.
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa - harissa with rose petals. No, I've just eaten the regular thing. Nothing I'd kill for.. but then I've only tasted one variety.
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox - both are good, although I prefer to have them separately.
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake

So I've only tried 36% of the list, how disappointing. But I'd go for most of the above, most notable exceptions being fugu (I'd be worried the cook missed some toxic bits), whole insects (gross and I don't like crunch or jellies anyway), durian (apparently it smells really bad) and roadkill (depending what was killed, in fact..) I love trying new foods so if I ever come near any I haven't yet eaten and I can afford it, I'll likely sample it.

No comments: