Thursday, December 4, 2008

Tulip day


sprouted Foster tulips
I finally managed to get some tulips I had sitting around and then sprouting in their baskets, into the ground. I cannot think of an excuse why I did it so late this year. I sort of kept looking at them thinking they could wait one or two more days without realizing that two months have actually passed.

The late ones were quite fine, Estella Rijnveld a.k.a. Gay Presto and Rococo only had one or two sprouts. Unfortunately, I also had some early Foster tulips waiting and almost all of them had inch long thick sprouts which looked as if there were flowerbuds inside. I took me a while to plant those, I must have had around sixty bulbs of differing sizes since I've had them for two years already and they multiplied. They multiply very well by the way, so they are worth trying if you want a show that lasts more than one season for your money. They are absolutely guaranteed to return, provided that you give them the right conditions, in particular don't cause them to rot by watering in the summer. I hope at least some of them bloom because they have the most gorgeous huge white petals which are visible from quite a distance. Last year I had them perfectly planted well away from the house, in the rich leafy soil under old trees, and they looked spectacular. So good in fact that I had some stolen so this year I moved them close to the house. I think the effect will not be as good. Being white, they are best planted in half-shade or against a dark background, and there's none of that close to the house. But instead they will have company of several orange Foster tulips I planted earlier this fall, so maybe they'll blend in somehow. I'll post pics in the second or third week of April when I expect them to bloom.

I also planted sixteen multiflowered early Greigii tulips Toronto, somewhat sprouted. Now I'm left with only five more varieties to plant, of which only one - Foster Zombie - is newly purchased, the rest are smaller bulbs I dug up from last year's beds, which will produce flowers of lesser value anyway.

I must buy fewer tulips next fall. I hate to see some of them almost go to waste because I don't get around to planting them in time. I'm still experimenting with varieties, figuring out which I like and which grow well, but my intention is to narrow the number of varieties and buy more of each, so that I can plant larger groups. While some people consider buying tulips extravagant, I think they are worth the expense because they fill the garden with gorgeous color one full month before the perennials. I also plain love so many of them, especially the tall cottage tulips and late tulips, in general, which I think come in the most gorgeous colors and shapes. Pics expected in May.

No comments: