Sunday, April 18, 2010

Fosteriana tulips Flaming Purissima and Sweetheart


Both varieties have been in bloom for a couple of days now. And I've had the very same bulbs for at least for four years now (that is, the year-to-year descendants of the same bulbs). They have been moved from their original spots two years ago and it's their second spring in the current spot.

I'm amazed because they've actually multiplied in the sandy soil of my garden, particularly the Flaming Purissimas. They were taller and had much bigger flowers when still residing in the rich leafy soil under the trees, however here, in the open spot next to the house, their petals are more pink. They are the second tulip to bloom this spring, after the greigii tulip Toronto, which bloomed on April 9th.


On cloudy days the flowers remain closed.

2 comments:

tina said...

Beautiful! I just planted some and hope they do as well. I have clay soil tho so don't think they will be we shall see!

Nico said...

Thank you, Tina. There's nothing like a naturally perfect spot but I am sure on a carefully prepared site (drainage, the right soil mix, fertilizer) plus careful watering you will be able to enjoy them for more than one year.

I actually prepare holes for all the tulips I plant - it is a bit of an effort but what a reward they are in the spring, blooming when other plants have barely developed their first leaves.