Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Whipped cream and pink wine

I've been going through a whipped cream period for the past week, I'm finishing my second can. I have it plain, feeding myself off a spoon, every day towards the late evening. It must have something to do with stress, as I've been feeling a bit stressed recently, and the cream would magically soothe me. Tonight I'm having it with some pink wine I purchased last week. It's an inexpensive South African wine which I sometimes buy to drink with my dinners because I discovered it doesn't give me headaches.

The guy at the wine counter of the superior supermarket where I go to buy my wine acted a bit offended when I took the pink bottle to the register. He advised against serving it with a good dinner but when I explained it was my proven hangover-free wine, he had no counterargument. I also bought a more expensive bottle of sherry from him, so ultimately I left him quite content.

I am having three full days off, by the way, the first of which - today - I basically spent doing the laundry. I slept late, until noon, and haven't accomplished much else. Tomorrow I'm going shopping again because I received a gift coupon worth about USD 10.00, for which I can get free food of a new, cheap but good (I tried) brand, which is being tested before its marketing campaign begins. I'll have to complete an evaluation questionnaire by March 1st. USD 10.00 doesn't sound like much but I will actually be able to stock up on stuff like canned pineapple, halva, milk, more whipped cream, perhaps cookies - things I'd have to get anyway - for free, and I'll indeed test the brand. If I like the products, I'll continue buying them, which would save me about 20% of the price I normally pay.

I'd like to make two other trips but I feel so lazy.. One is to buy some ground Kashmiri mirch, another - to buy lamb chops. For the mirch I'd actually have to go to the distributor's offices located at the other end of the town because they are discontinuing it but still have some in stock. I couldn't believe it when their receptionist told me this over the phone. Neither Sechuan pepper nor Kashmiri mirch will be imported anymore because there is no market interest in these products. That's why I haven't been able to find them anywhere since last summer! I was so disappointed. They really have no substitutes because of their unique, great taste. As far as the lamb chops are concerned, the trip is somewhat shorter (and in a completely different direction than the Indian spices trip) but it would still take at least three hours out of my day. But I've been craving them since I had three tiny specimens two weeks ago. I should have bought two trays, then I'd have too much at one sitting and I wouldn't want more now. (Don't I sound just like Richard?) I think the chops might win because they're closer.

No comments: